Paint it Big is a 4th and 5th grade art class:
Do you enjoy drawing & painting? Have you ever dreamed of taking a lot of time with a single drawing and then making it come alive with paint???? In this art block you will learn how to take any normal drawing and enlarge it! You choose… dragons, nature, animals, space ships, cartoon characters, school mascots, your own original drawing and/or anything else you can dream up! After you choose your subject you will learn gridding, a very careful and precise process used to create a large painting of your subject. If you are the type of artist who has patience, if you are willing to refine a single piece of art for many hours, if you have good attention to detail, and you want to create a single masterpiece, lasting a lifetime, join this class. Let’s paint it BIG!
1. Select a subject to paint
2. Print your subject on an 8 1/2 by 11 inch page
3. Cut off the extra 1/2 inch from your 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper
4. Grid your subject print out using 1 inch squares
5. Get a piece of art paper 24 inches by 33 inches
6. Grid the large paper using 3 inch squares
7. Carefully copy every square from the small subject printout onto the large art poster paper
8. Erase your griddlines
9. Paint your subject
10. Paint a background for your subject on the poster paper OR cut out your subject and paste it onto a separately painted background.
11. Wait for your painting to dry. Use a large black sharpie to outline your subject and to add fine details.
12. Laminate your painting
13. Write an artist statement detailing your thought process, your art process, and your reflections on your work.
14. Display your art for the community to enjoy!
Project Designed by Donna DuBois VanDeurzen
Paint it Big ~ 4th & 5th Grade